Pages

Thursday 21 February 2013

I saved a life today. It's really much easier than you might think.



I can literally say I saved a life today.  But 100+ other individuals did as well, having visited the Victoria Clinic of Canadian Blood Services.

I started giving blood 5 years ago, when a relative was diagnosed with hemachromatosis:  an excess of iron in the bloodstream.  This is genetic commonly passed down on the male side of the family.  The good news is a relatively easy remedy:  bloodletting.  My Doctor suggested donating blood, to deal with this possible condition (turned out that I do not have it) and also to contribute to the local blood supply.

Since that first visit, I have been back 32 more times and often with groups.  My Lodge of Odd Fellows brings a group of 5 or so every 2 months, usually capped with liquid replenishment at the local pub.  Today, I joined my friend and fellow Real Estate Board Past President Dennis Fimrite, who gave his 125th donation- to compliment his dad, Rod, who had given 175 times before recently dealing with cancer which makes him no longer eligible to donate.

175 (or 125) is an incredible number when you consider that one can only donate whole blood every 56 days.  That means Rod has been donated for at least 27 years and Dennis 19- provided they kept to the strict 56 day period.

Since starting to donate at the clinic, I have also become a volunteer once a month and am also on the Speaker's Bureau, where I give an educational presentation on the need for blood.  Here are some of the key points discussed:
-British Columbia uses more blood than it generates.  Per capita, we are the weakest Province in the country for donations.  In fact, BC imports blood from other Provinces just to keep up with demand.  We need to get better at this.
-whole blood only has a shelf life of about 35 days, although because of demand it is generally used within 5 days.
-blood can't be frozen, although the plasma can be separated and kept for a time.
-we do not possess the technology to replicate blood.
-the need for blood is high:  In emergencies, cancer patients can require 5 units,  internal bleeding 8 units, a car accident 50 units (!?!)
-ongoing treatment for cancer patients can require 5 units of blood weekly

You may think that blood is readily available.  Could you imagine this very possible scenario:  a technician in an Emergency Room opens the fridge, only to find there is not enough blood to restore life to a trauma victim.  That person could require the 50 units mentioned above, which would have to come from 50 different donors within the month- all needing to be the matching blood type.

Blood for transfusions can drastically improve someone's health also.  Or keep loved ones with you just a little longer.  When my dad was ill, transfusions gave him extra energy and provided us several extra precious days with him.  We had wonderful conversations and moments I will never forget.  We knew transfusions could not cure him but both times he received blood, I was proud of my own commitment to donate, knowing that someone else's family might benefit from my donation in a similar way.

To me, donating is a social experience.  I enjoy going with a group of friends, visiting and catching up.  Sometimes we make a fun wager on who will donate fastest (I owe Dennis $5 bucks today- his 5:50 beat my 7:00!).  Sitting around the table afterward with cookies and juice with further chatting is another bonus.

All this within a 60 minute visit every 2 months in a great atmosphere with people I know.  And I saved someone's life.

Please consider donating today.  If you haven't given before, it's easy and can be fun!  Call 1-888-TO DONATE


No comments:

Post a Comment